AZ State Representative Mitzi Epstein - What Has She Done?
1 . Education - Restore education funding
- Educate the whole child. A child is not a test score.
Fight for teachers and better salaries for all school employees. Mitzi sponsored the 4% teacher raise in 2017.
(Republicans voted no and gave teachers a 1% raise instead.)
- Led opposition to voucher expansion. Vouchers for Special Needs are ok, but voucher expansion drains money from our public schools and vouchers have no accountability to the taxpayer.
- Mitzi was invited to participate in the AZ Town Hall on the topic of Education Funding because she is recognized as a state leader in knowledge and advocacy for public schools.
- Mitzi has led Floor Debates to fight against tax loopholes. Taxes should be fair. Loopholes are not fair.
- Taxes must be adequate for public education and public safety. Carve-outs diminish revenue available for teachers, public health crises, and roads, etc. Stop the carve-outs!
2. Jobs and Technology
- Support growth of bioscience and technology in Arizona for good jobs
- Driverless cars, bitcoin, drones and other technologies are ahead of our laws. Mitzi brings her knowledge and network of technology experts to the Capitol to help lawmakers understand these fast-paced changes.
- Mitzi hosts Science Café at the Capitol - panel discussions with scientists for lawmakers, about technology and state laws
- Protect consumers from fraud and workers from exploitation.
- Mitzi has worked with bill sponsors to make many lists of changes to bills to protect consumers and taxpayers.
- Some tax incentives can support economic development, but Mitzi is not a pushover for them. She fights for taxpayers and teachers by saying, “Show me the money. Show me the evidence that this makes better jobs.”
“Mitzi is one of our caucus experts in tax policy, education funding and technology. She’s my go-to person for high tech issues like blockchain, fintech and driverless cars. I frequently consult with Mitzi and benefit from her broad, professional experience, especially in banking and computer technology.
I want Mitzi at the Capitol, asking the smart questions and looking out for Arizona families. ” - Rep. Kelli Butler.
- Mitzi fights for local control and safe cities.
- Our cities are unique and should be allowed to thrive in their own ways.
- She was awarded "Friend of Cities and Towns" for her consistent work defending freedoms for people in cities.
- She established the “Neighbors Council” to listen to our community. Their current project is to reduce youth suicide in Arizona, which is at crisis levels, but is preventable. Mitzi has gathered experts and everyday folks from across the state to develop sets of practical and far-reaching solutions to this problem. Via press conferences, a set of 5 bills, and continuing meetings with stakeholders, she is tenaciously working to make an impact and save lives.
- She is organizing “Renters and Landlords” to improve laws about security deposits, fees, confusing contracts, rent taxes, and so on. As many as half of the people in our district rent their homes.
She fought for renters to have a little more time to get their security deposits back, but a new bill cut that to 60 days.
- She is working with neighborhood groups to push back against big businesses that set up motels in the middle of neighborhoods because of a bad law that was passed in 2016. AirBnB is a great travel app, but neighbors need a way to stop the house next door from being converted into a 10-room motel with customers coming and going at all hours of the night.
Read more at Mitzi Epstein's legislative website (Click Here), where she blogs and posts current actions, not related to campaigning.